Friday, February 5, 2010

No Right or Wrong Answer

This blog has been spurned by a conversation between a few of my friends over Facebook. It all started with a survey an Atheist friend posted that asked if Atheists are smarter than Christians.

He asserts that that a choice in religion dictates ones level of intellect (or vice versa, he never really explained that part). His proof he is using to back his concept is that most scientists are Atheists. He claims that because they are more educated they are drawn to a refusal of the existence of a higher power. Indirectly he is saying that anyone that is spiritual in any way is simply too stupid to know better.

A lack of proof of something can neither disprove or prove a theory. Until recently it was believed that there was no way any creature could survive the environment around the volcanic vents of our deep oceans. It was once said that NOTHING could live there because of the heat, pressure, and chemicals present. Keep in mind this assertion was made without ever taking a direct look. It was an assumption based on the knowledge and technology we had at the time much like the Flat Earth belief. Now that our knowledge and technology has progressed we are able to prove those ideas wrong.

Just because we have no proof that something exists doesn't mean that it CANNOT exist (or as Christians would believe DOES exist). It simply means we do not know. Both sides are trying to use the same LACK of evidence to "prove" they are right and in my opinion both are idiots for arguing from logical fallacies. Let me show you what I mean.

1)There is no proof of God therefore there is no God.
a)Burden of Proof:
Claim X is presented by side A and the burden of proof actually rests on side B.
Side B claims that X is false because there is no proof for X.
b)Appeal to Belief:
wherein because "most" people believe x to be true therefore x must be true.

2)There is no proof God doesn't exist therefore he does exist.
a)Burden of Proof:
Claim X is presented by side A and the burden of proof actually rests on side B.
Side B claims that X is false because there is no proof for X.
b)Appeal to Belief:
wherein because "most" people believe x to be true therefore x must be true.

3)X poll shows that Atheists are smarter than Christians.
a)Appeal to Belief:
wherein because "most" people believe x to be true therefore x must be true.
b)Biased Sample:
X% of all observed A's are B''s.
Therefore X% of all A's are Bs.
c)Composition:
Individual F things have characteristics A, B, C, etc.
Therefore, the (whole) class of F things has characteristics A, B, C, etc.
d)Questionable Cause:
A and B regularly occur together.
Therefore A is the cause of B.

I could go on but I will spare you that but feel free to look through the rest of the 42 possible fallacies at .

The bottom line is that neither side of the argument is correct. Because God cannot be proved creates only one logical answer. We don't know. To assert any other answer is were we begin to go astray. For anyone to claim they are "right" on this subject is noting short of ignorant and arrogant. But we as humans have this need to be correct and sadly most of us insist that we are even after we are proven wrong or have no real proof we are right. Why can't we simply admit that we know nothing in the grand scheme of things. Once we are able to do that we mat then be able to actually learn something.

5 comments:

  1. I have found ignorance to be prevanlent on both sides ( and keep my mouth shut since Im wiccan...). I feel scientists tend to lean towards atheism since their work dictates science makes this and this happen, or creates such and such reaction. We cant just pray for a cancer cure, someone has to be Doing Something!
    As far as Christians go, many are Incredibly smart in matters of life, but they are labaled as 'less' because they have faith in something most of us cant/wont beleive in...

    its a tough call, but why are christians the ones being singled out (now at least) when they are other religions/faiths with as much debates behind them?
    *note the witch trials :/*

    just my thoughts :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christians were singled out in this because the one that spurned the rant singled them out but in all honestly couldn't you apply his thinking to anyone that believes in a higher power. Being that he is claiming that Atheists are smarter than Christians wouldn't that concept transfer over to anyone that isn't Atheist?

    And well put about why scientists tend t lean to Atheism. It isn't anything based on fact but as I have pointed out, a lack of fact. With that in mind you look at the way scientist MUST think in order to do their jobs. They can't simply say that have faith that antimatter can coexist with matter (that could be a bad day in the making). They must test and retest to show empirical proof of a theory. That way of thinking tends to bleed over into their mundane lives.

    Do you think a Bible salesman would be an Atheist? Or a Wiccan would be a Hitman (hitperson? I don't like o be overly PC)?

    If they didn't need to make things black and white (it exists because I can quantify it/it doesn't exist because I can't) I doubt they would have taken the years of schooling to go into hat field.

    But remember a PhD in Theology tahes the same amount of time as a PhD in Particle Physics. So who then is less educated?

    ReplyDelete
  3. well i actually meant to post this like...7 hours ago, lol.

    Hm. I know many people believe in a 'higher power' because it takes the responsibility out of their lives.
    "I didn't get that job, because God didn’t want me to."
    "I wasn’t fired for missing too much work, God has other plans for me."
    "I won't have kids because Allah cursed me..."
    ect..

    It may be possible for a Bible salesman to be Atheist, perhaps they enjoy the stories ;)
    I have several different versions of the Bible and a Koran- yet I don’t 'believe' in they way that followers do.
    I can believe that Christians have the right idea in preaching tolerance (until they don't take their own advice)
    I can believe that Christ was a prophet, but will I worship him? No. He was just a man with a story who has become larger than even he wanted to be. Parahansa Yogananda was a prophet too, with a very similar message- yet we do not start wars over him (his teachings are taught at Ananda, a rather interesting church :3)

    I have a close friend who is fundamental Christian (she told me at first her parents only let me come over to 'convert me'- didn’t work xD) After attending many of their services, I found that if I ended up in a truly organized religion it would be for the family type atmosphere (though I know that sounds weird). The close-knit threading of the faith community definitely appeals to many people that do not have the emotional strength to stand on their own (which is sad...).


    Matters of Science and matters of God, alas a long standing debate. I would say equally educated. Both spent just as much time and energy pursuing enlightenment (in their own way). To the common person, neither education will do much good. Knowing 'God's plan' wont fix my car or do my dishes for me, just as knowing particle physics is not going to pick up the hose and water my plants, or feed the fish..

    All a matter of perspective, I think this quote from Einstein perfectly embodies the overall message-
    “All religions, arts and sciences are branches of the same tree. All these aspirations are directed toward ennobling man's life, lifting it from the sphere of mere physical existence and leading the individual towards freedom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's funny, a lot of Atheists think that means they don't believe in god or a higher power. However, Agnostic means "without knowledge of the transcendant" while Atheist means, "Without God." All that means is that they don't believe in the religious god, but believe in a higher power. These have greek roots. Gnosis is direct knowledge from the transendant, and Theo is God, much like theology is the study of god. I believe the prefix of a is a latinate meaning without, but it could come from the greek.

    Anyway, I didn't read the whole blog, because you carry on so, but I got the gist of it. :)

    ReplyDelete