Friday, May 28, 2010

I Feel Violated

The truth shall set you free, or so they say. Tonight the truth almost sent me to jail.

Our story starts 3 days ago when I was "fortunate" enough to witness a recently weaned kitten fall from an open second story window and land with a sickening crack on the concrete below. I rushed over to see if it was alive and carried it home for Jennifer to look after. As Jennifer looked after the kitten to make sure it didn't have any broken bones or a concussion when she noticed that half of it upper whiskers on one side and most of the lower whiskers on the opposite side had been burnt off.

Now keep in mind that the apartment that this kitten fell from is notorious in our complex for allowing their children to run free with no supervision, steal cigarette butts from tenants butt cans, try to bum smokes from other tenants "for their mom", loud music at all hours, constant traffic in and out of their apartment, physical fights in the parking lot an MUCH more. The main resident was even recently arrested for shoplifting from Burlington and 4 other active warrants and her children have been repeatedly witnessed dragging a small yelping puppy around and abusing other pets around the complex.

With all of this in mind many of you understand why I had no intentions of returning the kitten to its certain doom. The fact that they hadn't eve taken the time to look for the kitten just added more weight to my decision.

Well today after mentioning something about being careful not to let the neighbors see Lucky Lucy (as we called her) he then walked out the front door to take Daisy for a walk and let the kitten out. Well they saw her and came to my door.

When someone beats loudly on my back door I take a small metal bat with me because our friends know not to use that door and we are besieged by drunken bangers and crackheads on that side of our apartment. This was one of those times.

When I answered the door I was greeted by a teenage girl flanked by at least 10 other children and adults that demanded that I bring her the cat. So I told her that I have AN orange kitten but it wasn't hers she demanded again that I let her see the cat. I told her that it was bullshit for her to come onto my porch and demand anything from me. Well she gave me a scolding about using foul language in front of children so I slammed the door. Se then responded by calling me a mother fucker through my door.

I then thought I should put my bat back in the closet and not leave it by the door. As I picked up the bat there was another pounding on my door. I opened the door and told them to go away and slammed the door again. They then began shouting about me "threatening" them with a bat and proceeded to pound on my door again. As the pounding grew louder and more violent I decided it was time to call the police and put an end to the situation. My first call was made at 3:56pm with the pounding in the background.

Shortly after my first call the pounding shifted to kicking in an attempt to break down my door. A second call was placed (911 this time). During my call to 911 the kicking stopped (I assume because they heard me calling the cops).

3.5 hours after the first call an office showed up at my door. Apparently they need to wrap up the rush hour ticket bonanza before responding.

When I opened the door for the officer his first comments were about the cat which leads me to believe that he was not responding to my call but one made by the neighbors about their stolen cat.

As our conversation went on he asked if I was willing to go to jail for the safety of the cat. I told him I was more than willing. Hell, it would have made a great lawsuit for me.

With that said he made up his mind that he was going arrest me. As the conversation went on I asked if I was being arrested for the cat what would be done about people trying to break down my door. He informed me that he had no intentions of doing anything about that situation.

After all was said and done I wasn't arrested because I turned the cat over to Spokanimal who promptly returned the cat.

So the bottom line is that it is more important to the Spokane Police Department that a kitten be returned to an abusive home that a home invasion attempt.

3 comments:

  1. Him i an guessing i need to have Tammee make a call to Ththe head honcho at Spokanimal and ask if this needs to become a bigger news story seeing how they are now apart od the SPCA ??? placn a kitten back in a dangerous situation like that is obsurd.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats the spokane police for ya. We all know where their priorities lie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is why people resort to vigilantism.

    ReplyDelete